Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Multi-Tasking Is For Losers

I mean that. I used to pride myself on being a chaotic, octopus-armed multitasker & now I know that I was really just fooling myself. You might be talented & interested in many things, but you can't do them all at once, and you can't get anywhere dabbling. Well, maybe you can go in circles really really fast, but I was kind of hoping for something more like a straight line to brand recognition & career success.

Now, all I have to show for years & years of workaholic effort is some watered down press, confused fans, and piles of incomplete projects. I recently did some soul searching & came to the conclusion that a) I could not stand myself anymore and b) I would limit myself to two projects to devote myself to for today & well into the perceivable future. The rest must either hit the road for good or be put on hold for a much later date.

At first, it was overwhelming to make such a decision & hard to kill any one of my darlings, but, in the end, the choice was obvious: KOSHi & Obedient Waves. These are my truest, deepest loves, my biggest priorities, and they actually feed off & compliment each other in this kind of whacky Beauty & The Punk Beast way.

So... there you have it, and here I am, a newly improved & stream-lined art-making machine. I hope to dazzle you with laser-like focus in the month's to come.



And, in case you're having a case of the schitzos yourself, here's a recent article that John Tierney wrote for the New York Times on how multi-tasking isn't just hard on your poor lil noggin, it's literally impossible... .

"Kill your darlings" -William Faulkner