Saturday, January 23, 2010

Sonia Rykiel Glams It Up With Retro-Slick Ad Campaigns

Sonia Rykiel's aesthetic is so right on. I dig that late 70s - early 80s glam thing she does so well and am ready to move right in to one of her moody, color-saturated ads.

This first set is for Spring 2010 and reminds me of the Robert Palmer Simply Irresistible days...



And I just never got over these images for Spring 2008...





Sonia Rykiel's 10 Rules Of Style...

1. Know Yourself
"What counts is how you look at yourself ~ what you should show and what you should hide. You have to spend time in front of a mirror. Very few women pay attention to that."

2. Use Your Head
"My style corresponds to the image I have of the left bank woman who pays attention to what's going on in the streets, in politics, in the world. Clothing is also something that happens in your head."

3. Remember The Power Of Black
"Black is a magnificent color ~ it gives you an outline like a pencil stroke."

4. Add A Little Sparkle
"I love accessories ~ bags, shoes, brooches, necklaces. I even like to have a crystal comb or a flower in my hair. If you're wearing a little black dress, a sparkling detail adds a simple and pretty touch."

5. Have A Fail-Safe Outfit
"It's important to have an outfit that always works for you ~ one that you know looks good when you are in a rush."

6. Learn The Art Of Packing
"I always travel with lots of long jackets, in black, brown, or navy blue, and matching trousers. Then I mix and match the jackets and the trousers."

7. Let Your Feet Do The Talking
"I love eccentric, quirky shoes with colors and very high heels that are gilded or extravagantly embellished with crystals. A pretty foot underlines a look. It's a way of defining a style."

8. Dress For Yourself
"Of course fashion is important, but I think the way you live counts for more. A woman should be herself and dress according to who she is."

9. Seduce With Your Style
"It's very natural to be sexy, to be seductive ~ it's a way of being. You can do much by paying careful attention to your clothes, by knowing a length or a certain color that suits you."

10. Ignore Other People's Advice
"You shouldn't ask for other people's advice, and certainly not your partner's. It's useless. You need to know yourself ~ that's enough."


Sonia Rykiel Portrait By Andy Warhol

No comments: