Thursday, June 04, 2009

Sexiest "Older" Women

I think there is a ridiculous amount of agism in the media, but what's even more concerning is the level of hardcore agism in the blog-commenting community. For example, a trip to Just Jared, a site I actually dig for it's semi-kindness to the stars, will yield an unnerving number of civilian remarks on women's looks in general, but especially the over thirty set for looking "old", "haggard", "rough", etc. The standards are pretty high considering the women being negatively commented on are some of the planet's most genetically gifted & physically well-maintained, and I find the mass henpecking to be a demented attempt to control women's bodies. What's especially icky is that a lot of this is coming from females. Do we need another feminist revolution to put these petty pickers to shame? I'm starting to think we do.








The Huffington Post just put up a list of The Worlds 6 Most Beautiful Older Women (of course they could not come up with even ten) & I happen to agree with their selections and give them an A for effort. It's also kind of sexist & weird, so, on second thought, I'll give them an A-.

Their list includes, Helen Mirren, Sophia Loren, Iman, Angelica Houston, Carmen Del 'Orefice, and, my personal fave, Gloria Steinem. I'd like to round out the list to include Mia Farrow, Oprah Winfrey, Susan Sarandon, and Donna Karan. There- a perfect ten.

(And really, I could go on & on & on... Connie Chung, Catherine Deneuve, Debbie Harry, Yoko Ono, Patti Smith, Diane Sawyer...)