Ginger's fiery, pungent-sweet flavor and myriad health & beauty benefits make her the perfect anecdote to even the winteriest chill...
TOP 10 HEALTH BENEFiTS OF GiNGER
1. Ginger has carminative properties (anti spasmic) and can be used to calm in upset stomach, providing relief for the relief of bloating and gas.
2. The intake of ginger helps stimulate the secretion of mucus, quieting your cough and soothing any scratchiness I your throat.
3. Ginger has been proven (in multiple studies) to treat feelings of nausea, particularly in the form of seasickness, morning sickness, motion sickness and as a side effect of chemotherapy.
4. Ginger contains anti viral, anti toxic, and anti fungal properties, and is used for the prevention of and treatment against the common cold.
5. Ginger acts as an antihistamine and aids in the treatment of allergies.
6. Ginger displays anti inflammatory properties and can be used to treat rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and various other muscular disorders. The chemical components of the root are instrumental in inhibiting the biosynthesis of prostaglandins which are responsible for causing inflammation. Thus the root has proven to be a highly effective form of treatment, in some cases, even more so than the NSAID's that are traditionally prescribed.
7. Ginger contains special enzymes responsible for catalyzing the proteins in your food, thus aiding in digestion and the prevention of cramps. The ancient Greeks used to eat ginger after a large meal in order to ease the digestion process.
8. Due to its promotion of mucus secretion, ginger protects against the development of ulcers, unwanted holes in the lining of your stomach.
9. Ginger has proven to help lower your cholesterol levels and prevent the formation of blood clots.
10. Ginger is often used to settle an upset stomach or treat severe stomach ailments such as dyspepsia or colic. It is frequently used today in 3rd world countries to treat diarrhea. -Annette Rosen
Did you know that ginger has long been reputed to be an aphrodisiac? It reportedly has scientifically-proven traits that "urge sexual gratification & promote better sex health" and, through various myths & legends, has often been credited with increasing lustful yearnings and improving sexual performance...
RAW GiNGER SNAPS
3 cups golden flax seeds
1/2 cup chia seeds (soaked together for 3-4 hours)
1 big chunk of fresh ginger (1-2 TBS)
3/4-1 cup of honey
1. Blend everything in a blender 2. spoon cookie-size blobs onto nonstick trays 3. dehydrate for for about 36 hours.
"They ended up being kind of chewy and everybody loves them."
- To Live Long & Prosper
RAW GiNGER BEER
6 large green apples
Fresh ginger to taste
Sparkling mineral water
1. Juice the apples and ginger 2. Top up with mineral water to make 2 litres
"Mineral water makes it taste like the real thing!"
- Living & Raw Foods
RAW SPiCY MANGO GiNGER SOUP
1 large mango, peeled & destoned
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 cup cold water
Juice from 1 lime
Minced ginger to taste
Minced chilli pepper to taste
1. Process all ingredients together in a blender until smooth and creamy, adding more water as needed 2. Chill before serving.
"This cold soup recipe is suitable for those on a raw food diet, as it is vegetarian, vegan and uses all fresh, raw food ingredients."
- Vegetarian Food with Jolinda Hackett
RAW GiNGER ALMOND NORi ROLLS
NAUGHTY BUT NiCE: This David Lebovitz recipe for HOMEMADE CANDiED GiNGER is not exactly healthy, but who cares? Everything in moderation...
NAUGHTY BUT NiCE PART DEUX: Wassail has evolved from a spiced mulled beer or "mead" that, in the Middle Ages, was popular for ringing in the New Year, into something more resembling apple cider. Thankfully, most modern recipes still call for the signature combo of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and, of course, ginger that gives it such kick.
To Read: What The Heck Is Wassail?
_________BEAUTY SPiCE : GiNGER GiRL_________
"Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead." - Lucille Ball
"Out of the ash - I rise with my red hair - And eat men like air..." Sylvia Plath
“My husband said he wanted to have a relationship with a redhead, so I dyed my hair.” -Jane Fonda
GOiNG GiNGER : HOMEMADE HENNA HAiR DYE
To make a basic mix that can add reddish gold highlights to both red and brown hair- 1. mix two parts plain powdered henna with one part chamomile henna powder 2. Add just enough boiling water to create a thick paste 3. Add a tablespoon of olive oil & a tablespoon of vinegar to the mix 3. Let the mix get warm and apply to your hair (wear gloves) 4. Let the mix sit on your hair for 30 minutes up to two hours (experiment to get the exact color you want) 5. Rinse your hair until clean of the mix
* This is a repost from MAJOR ARCANA, a witchy new blog that I just started working on for the new year... come see!