Saturday, July 04, 2009

The Sandman Lives On


There have been a few late show performances that made an instant fan of me & that I will never ever no way no how forget. They are burned into my brain forever & include songs like Bjork "It's Oh So Quite", The Walkmen "Little House Of Savages", Emily Haines "Doctor Blind", and Morphine "Honey White", which I've already posted here somewhere, but, in honor of the ten year anniversary of Mark Sandman's untimely death, I'm posting it again...


Tony Sachs wrote THiS lovely-fine tribute to the Sandman for the Huffington Post yesterday & I think it's worth a read on this lazy, summery 4th of July...

"Mark Sandman, frontman of the Boston-based alternative rock band Morphine, died ten years ago today, on July 3, 1999. It was the kind of death from which rock legends are born -- he was onstage, at the height of his powers, with the most ambitious album of his career having just been completed. Morphine were signed to a powerful record label, and if they weren't a household name in the music world, they had a large cult following that enabled them to pack large clubs and theaters worldwide..."