Saturday, April 07, 2007

KOSHi LUVS... Dorothy Parker


"I've never been a millionaire but I just know I'd be darling at it."
-Dorothy Parker

As a writer, in general, I have many influences & heroes. As a poet & lyricist, I have only a few, Dorothy Parker being primary among them. She was romantic & spry, devilish & sad all at once, and, boy, could she turn a phrase. Her rhymes are as catchy as any of todays best pop songs, but with bite. In honor of "Dotty", for no other reason than I feel like it, here's one of my faves...

"Epitaph for a Darling Lady"



All her hours were yellow sands,

Blown in foolish whorls and tassels;

Slipping warmly through her hands;

Patted into little castles.

Shiny day on shiny day

Tumbled in a rainbow clutter,

As she flipped them all away,

Sent them spinning down the gutter.

Leave for her a red young rose,

Go your way, and save your pity;

She is happy, for she knows

That her dust is very pretty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read. I guess Mrs. Parker just acquired a new fan. She is brilliant.