Thursday, February 01, 2007

KOSHi LUVS... Maureen Kelly


I spent my yesterday in Long Beach at the "Women In Charge" conference put on by Entrepreneur magazine & American Express OPEN. I didn't really know what to expect, but I have to say that, if I did have expectations, they would have been blown away. There were aprox. 250 - 300 attendees from all over the country, all friendly, ambitious & eager to network with our fellow females in biz for themselves, and they fed us all so well... twice! The seminars were informative & entertaining, and I really did learn a ton. But by far, my favorite experience of the day was the speech Maureen Kelly of Tarte cosmetics gave when she accepted her Woman Entrepreneur of the Year award. This woman is gorgeous (a prettier, bubblier version of Rilo Kiley's Jenny Lewis in a killer dress & stacked boots) and so down to earth. She talked about the creation & continued growth of her 6 1/2 year old company, which she started from her one bedroom apartment in New York with her & her husbands $20,000 life savings. They managed to net $15 million last year and are set to make more in 2007. Plus, she really seems to enjoy her work, gives back to the community, and was very generous in divulging her mistakes, triumphs and loads of helpful advice. Now, I'm all fired up about my own lil biz and eager to buy some Tarte goodies to boot!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I met her once. She was very nice.

Anonymous said...

did you know that her first husband died in 911? this woman is not only great, she can take a lickin' and keep on tickin.